Tuesday, June 3, 2008

Yves Saint Laurent: Will always be remembered...

It's normally difficult to write about the loss of anybody. It's a sensitive issue but I felt I should mention about one of the most influental design of all times; Yves Henri Donat Mathieu Saint Laurent.

I’m sure there are news headlines mentioning about the loss of the designer of the era, Yves Saint Laurent (1936-2008). Sometimes, it’s peculiar how such a lost can have an impact in our minds. However, for me, this instance, I would try to recall how I knew the name the first time.

One day, four years ago, I was researching on ‘The New Look’ by Christian Dior. How is this relevant to Yves Saint Laurent you ask…? Well simply put, it was right next to the page of Dior. Of course, that’s not all of it! I read more and found out that 17 year old Yves Saint Laurent worked for Dior (I kept reading on although it wasn’t part of my research). After Dior's death in 1957, Yves, at the age of 21, was in charge of the saving the Dior house from financial ruin. He retained the shape and the same exquisite fabrics which was the identity of Dior. Also, he made them softer, lighter and easier to wear which the public appreciated. Fast forward to 1962, after bringing Dior to success once again and in the wake of his shock from serving the army, he opened his own label called ‘YSL’.

Yves Saint Laurent during his early days of fashion:
Source: 'The Strait Times: Life; June 3, 2008' (Singapore newspaper)

I found this documentary on YouTube on the year (1962) he began his own line.


This loss of Yves Saint Laurent reminded me of last year's loss of the Italian designer. This was Gianfranco Ferre, known as "the architect of fashion" for his educational background and his original attitude towards fashion. Both worked towards the sucess of Dior during different eras.

A quote from Yves Saint Laurent which is fixed in my mind: “Fashion fades. Style is eternal.”

Indeed it does...


No comments: